Designed by a Stroke survivor to support Stroke victims



 Aid UK


Fundraising total: £2010

-Council Tax Benefit

This means that Council tax support will not be nationally set and local Councils must devise their own local scheme to help people on low income to pay their Council Tax bill.


England : Each local Council will be responsible for devising their own system of Council tax Support


Scotland: Responsibility for setting council tax levels rests with local authorities in Scotland. The Scottish Government have ensured that people receiving Council Tax Benefit will not have to pay more in 2013.


Wales: Council Tax Support will apply across every Council in Wales to be set by the Welsh Assembly which will ensure that people receiving Council Tax Benefit will not have to pay more in 2013

-Help with NHS Health Costs

There can be charges for some treatment from the NHS and a leaflet has been produced by the NHS which outlines information about who does not have to pay charges and also explains the help you might get with costs if you are on a low income. You may be eligible for help with the following items:


NHS prescriptions


NHS dental treatment


Sight tests


Glasses and contact lenses


Travel costs for treatment under the care of a consultant


If you would like a copy of the leaflet quote ‘HC11 – Help with health costs’. You can get a copy from DH Publications Online, contact details:


Telephone: 0300 123 1002 Dept of Health Publications order line

-Travel Costs

Hospital PCTs will cease to exist from 1 April 2013. Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) will then make payments previously undertaken by PCTs..


You may be able to claim a refund under the “Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme” (HTCS) of the cost of travelling to hospital or other NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic test arranged by a doctor or dentist. If you are on entitled benefits or allowances you may be able to claim for use of a private car and parking charges (where unavoidable). The Hospital will tell you the mileage rate. It is recommended that you check with the Hospital before travelling.


Blue Badge Scheme gives concessionary parking for people with severe mobility problems. You qualify automatically for a Blue Badge if you are registered blind or if you qualify for Higher Rate of the DLA mobility component. You may qualify if you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking. In this case a doctor may be asked to complete a form on your behalf.   To apply for a Blue Badge contact your local Social Services Department.


London Congestion Charge ( There is 100% discount for Blue Badge holders. Registration of your car initially costs £10 and must be registered with the Transport for London (TfL) ten days before travelling. Once you have received a discount approval letter you can drive into the Congestion Charge zone without having to pay the standard daily charge. Patients who are clinically assessed as being too ill to travel to an appointment on public transport may be eligible to claim a reimbursement of the Congestion Charge from their treating hospital. Be sure to keep your receipt so that you can reclaim.


Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax) exception You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA

Any patient who has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or an appliance would be entitled to medical exemption if they have completed application form FP92A and a doctor has signed the form to confirm the condition (in this context, "permanent" is taken to mean "intended to last indefinitely"). Whether or not a dialysis patient has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or appliance is a matter for their doctor's clinical judgment. We would expect the criteria to be met where there is a clinical need for a permanent fistula to be covered by a surgical dressing

TIP: You should do at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day



-Prescription Charges in the UK

-Water Charges

The WaterSure Scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don’t cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill.


To qualify for help under the WaterSure scheme, you or someone living with you, needs be entitled to receive one of the following:


Council tax benefit


Housing benefit


Income Support


Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance


Working Tax Credit


Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)


Pension Credit


Income-related Employment and Support Allowance


In addition, you need to either:


be responsible for three or more children under the age of 19 and in full-time education living in the property, or have (or someone living in the property must have) a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water. If you qualify for WaterSure, you will pay no more than the average household bill, even if you use more than the average amount of water.


You will not qualify for WaterSure if you use a garden sprinkler system or have a swimming pool.If you think you are eligible for WaterSure, you will need to apply through your Water Company


Help and Support