Designed by a Stroke survivor to support Stroke victims



 Aid UK


Fundraising total: £2010

-Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA is a benefit paid to people whose ability to work is limited by ill health or disability


ESA replaced new claims for Incapacity Benefit and Income Support from 27 October 2008. Claimants already receiving Incapacity Benefit, Income Support paid because of illness or disability or Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA) continued to receive those benefits as long as they remained eligible. However, in 2010 it was announced that these claimants would be switched to ESA between Spring 2011 and 2014.

-Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

This is payable to someone who is incapable of work because of sickness or disability. It is only paid to someone who is employed and who earns more than the National Insurance lower earnings limit. When Statutory Sick Pay runs out or you stop being employed, you may be able to claim other benefits

-Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is extra money to help you with everyday life if you've an illness, disability or mental health condition. You can get it on top of Employment and Support Allowance or other benefits.

-Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which will be introduced over an extended period with the aim of national coverage by 2017.  More information can be obtained from


Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support

Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credits

Housing Benefit.


(From April 2014 people of working age who are in work will claim Universal Credit instead of current tax credit)

-Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits

Working Tax Credit. You may be able to claim Working Tax Credit if you are disabled and work at least 16 hours a week. You must have a disability that makes it difficult to get a job. You must be receiving, or have recently received, a qualifying sickness or disability related benefit. However this may affect other income related benefits you get - for example Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. Call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900.


Child Tax Credit. This is a payment to support families with children. It can be claimed by those responsible for at least one child or young person. The amount of the payment depends on your circumstances and income levels, but could include a baby element, disability element or severe disability element.

-Carers Allowance (CA)

If you are aged 16 or over and spending at least 35 hours a week looking after someone who is getting or waiting to hear about getting Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. Carers Allowance is taxable and may affect your other benefits

-Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income, whether you are working or not, and paying rent

-Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

You may qualify for a discretionary housing benefit to help with the shortfall in your rent. Your local council should have further details.


If you think you may be affected by this Cap the DWP have set up a Helpline to help answer questions about the cap. The number is 0845 605 7065 between 8am and 6pm


If you wish to challenge decisions made on your benefit claims you can ask for written statements of the reasons for the decision made. If you still believe this is incorrect decision you can ask for it to be look at again and/or appeal. Time limits are very strict and you are usually given one month to dispute a decision so it is important to seek advice quickly.


If you are an older person with concerns about this information your local Age UK may offer you some assistance.

TIP: When a Stroke occurs, if you find that your left side has weakened you have had damage to the right side of the brain. If you find the right side has weakened then you have had damage on the left side of the brain.




Help and Support